Acquisitions, investments and divestitures


During 2011, 2010 and 2009, ABB invested $3,805 million, $1,275 million and $159 million in 10, 9 and 8 new businesses and joint ventures, respectively. The amounts exclude changes in cost and equity investments.

The principal acquisition in 2011 was Baldor Electric Company (Baldor). On January 26, 2011, we acquired 83.25 percent of the outstanding shares of Baldor for $63.50 per share in cash. On January 27, 2011, we exercised our top-up option contained in the merger agreement, bringing our shareholding in Baldor to 91.6 percent, allowing us to complete a short-form merger under Missouri, United States, law. On the same date, we completed the purchase of the remaining 8.4 percent of outstanding shares. Baldor markets, designs and manufactures industrial electric motors, mechanical power transmission products, drives and generators. The acquisition broadens the product offering of our Discrete Automation and Motion division, closing the gap in our automation portfolio in North America by adding Baldor’s NEMA (National Electrical Manufacturers Association) motors product line, as well as adding Baldor’s growing mechanical power transmission business.

The principal acquisition in 2010 was Ventyx group. On June 1, 2010, we acquired all of the shares of Ventyx Inc., Ventyx Software Inc. and Ventyx Dutch Holding B.V., representing substantially all of the revenues, assets and liabilities of the Ventyx group. Ventyx provides software solutions to global energy, utility, communications and other asset intensive businesses and was integrated into the network management business within the Power Systems division to form a single unit for energy management software solutions.

During 2009, acquisitions were not significant either individually or in aggregate.

For more information on our acquisitions, see “Note 3 Acquisitions, increases in controlling interests and divestments” to our Consolidated Financial Statements.

Increase in controlling interests in India

In 2010, we increased our ownership interest in ABB Limited, India (our publicly-listed subsidiary in India) from approximately 52 percent to 75 percent. Cash paid in 2010, including transaction costs, amounted to $956 million. The offer of 900 rupees per share resulted in a charge to “Capital stock and additional paid-in capital” of $838 million, including expenses related to the transaction.

ABB to acquire Thomas & Betts Corporation

On January 30, 2012, we announced that we had reached an agreement to acquire the Thomas & Betts Corporation. Thomas & Betts designs, manufactures and markets essential components used to manage the connection, distribution, transmission and reliability of electrical power in industrial, construction and utility applications. We anticipate cash outflows upon closing the transaction amounting to approximately $3.9 billion, based on a purchase price of $72 per share for the acquisition of the outstanding shares. The transaction is subject to approval by Thomas & Betts shareholders as well as to customary regulatory approvals, and is expected to close by the middle of 2012.


In 2011, 2010 and 2009, we received cash, net of cash disposed, from sales of businesses and equity-accounted companies of $8 million, $83 million and $16 million, respectively. Gains and losses on these transactions were not significant.

For more information on our divestments, see “Note 3 Acquisitions, increases in controlling interests and divestments” to our Consolidated Financial Statements.

Financial review

© Copyright 2012 ABB.